Privatizing Social Security
Icono Clast
2012-10-23 10:58:47 UTC
[Please forgive me for starting a new thread but I couldn't go through
the more than six thousand existing ones to which this should be
added. Sorry.]

The privatization of Social Security would be an economic disaster for
those workers who make too little to have discretionary income. Absent
that, how would they be able to contribute enough to a 401k, or other
medium of saving, to allow for a non-starvaton retirement income?

Take a look at what's happened to the finances of workers whose
pensions have been eliminated after giving them the money they had put
in. The vast majority have done irresponsible, and even some
frivolous, things such as taking never-before-possible trips, buying
things they could have never previously afforded, etc. In other words,
the money's gone!

And take a look at the economic situation of workers whose pensions
have been stolen by corporate takeovers or failures such as Enron.

Has ANY country privatized its Social Security system? Germany was the
first to have one. One would think it would also be the first to
privatize. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

The ONLY safe pension is a union pension. If you're among the
unfortunates who don't have a union to represent and protect you and
to manage your pension, you have my sympathy. It's a situation you
ought to alleviate immediately by joining with your fellow workers.

http://IClast.net/Articles/Overtime.html
The Quartermaster
2012-10-23 12:20:00 UTC
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 03:58:47 -0700 (PDT), Icono Clast
Post by Icono Clast
[...]
If you want to contribute to someone other than your own family's
wellfare, that's fine but it is un-American to force someone else
to do so. This country was founded upon the principle of liberty
and when you take away that liberty you've begun a long, slow
path to a dictatorship. If you need a union to hold your hand
through life, you don't have very much of a life and are just
another weak link in the chain.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Osama is dead, yeah right, so is our Ambassador!!!

The Quartermaster
NotMe
2012-10-23 23:20:30 UTC
Post by Icono Clast
[...]
So you're telling us you'll pay taxes that provide for fire protection only
if your house burns down?
ylem
2012-10-24 02:16:56 UTC
Privatizing SSI is nothing more than a scheme to allow Wall Street
hucksters to gamble with someone else's retirement. It's kind of like
giving a gambling addict your credit card to play with.
Ylem
ylem
2012-10-24 02:22:10 UTC
Post by Icono Clast
[...]
It's the short-sided viewpoint of a person who does not love his
country, his fellow human, and actually believes that he really did -
do it all himself.
Maybe he read ... and actually believes ... Ayn Rand, the amoral
narcissist.
Maybe he's just a bitter old asshole.
Ylem

NotMe
2012-10-23 23:18:30 UTC
Post by Icono Clast
[...]
A Union can help but it's not a drop kick. American Airlines (but one
example) employees are finding out the hard way as the company is working
hard to unload the responcibility on WeThePeople.